At least 7 killed as blasts, gunshots rock E. Afghanistan's Jalalabad city

At least 7 killed as blasts, gunshots rock E. Afghanistan's Jalalabad city

At least nine people were killed and another almost 40 injured as an intense clash went on between Taliban assailants and security forces in this capital city of eastern Nangarhar province Sunday. Witnesses said the explosions had caused carnage among passers-by.

Security forces have cordoned off the area for precautionary measures.

Governor Spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told Pajhwok Afghan News nine people have been killed and 39 others injured so far in the attack. More explosions were then heard coming from inside the building, he added.

More news: City hit 100 premier league points, after last minute grasp from Jesus

Security forces and attackers are now fighting each other.

According to the local Ashna Radio, a suicide-car bombing followed an exchange of fire at the directorate.

Taliban militants and fighters of Islamic State outfit have presence in the province, some 120 km east of Afghan capital of Kabul.

More news: Central Intelligence Agency nominee has ties to Kentucky

April saw a series of attacks across the country targeting voter registration centres as Afghanistan gears up for long-delayed legislative elections due in October.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. Most have been in the capital Kabul.

He also added that the attack left at least forty two people wounded, including civilians, Customs Department workers, and security personnel.

More news: Albert Pujols singles to right field to join MLB's 3000-hit club

Kabul has become one of the deadliest places in the country for civilians as security forces struggle to keep the militants at bay following the withdrawal of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation combat forces at the end of 2014.

Related Articles